jueves, 26 de mayo de 2011

Interview with Erik T. Anderson

He has lived in New York most of his life, so we wanted to know how we lived on 11 September and how he sees the current situation.


1. Where were you when the disaster occurred?
I was working at my office.  It was located 4 blocks away from the World Trade Center.  That is approximately 200-250 meters distance.

2. What were you doing?
Typing email at my computer

3. Why media found out? 
The media found out because of the loud explosion that shook all of the buildings in the area.

4. What was your first reaction?
New York is a very noisy city.  My first reaction was to ignore it because I believed it was construction noise or a traffic accident.

5. Were you able to contact his family at that time?
I was not able to contact my family for more than 3 hours.  All of the mobile phone lines were jammed with all the people making telephone calls.

6. Did you know someone who was at that time there?
I did not know anyone very well.  I later learned that my friends had family members there.
 
7. How much coverage did the media in the U.S.?
Nearly every all media sources covered the story.  All television channels showed the pictures.  Some television and radio stations lost the ability to broadcast their signal because one of the main antennas for the signal was on top of one of the towers. 

8. Do you think the Bush administration was able to prevent the attack?
I do not believe the Bush administration could have done much to stop it.  No one expected that such an attack would ever occur. 
  
9. To what extent has changed the security in the country? Do you feel safe?
Every time I fly on an airplane, all people's lives have changed.  Safe?  It is part of life now.

10. What was your feeling after learning the death of Bin Laden?
I was pleased.  I wish I could have happened sooner.

11. Do you think there may be retaliation from Al Qaeda?
Very possible.  They are a determined group. 

12. Are you happy with the project being arisen I deem in Ground Zero?
The project is good.  The speed is far too slow.
 
13. What about all those U.S. soldiers who have been more than 7 years in Iraq?
It is unfortunate that the must be away from their families for so long.  The soldiers are professionals and understand the risks, benefits and commitments from joining the military before they do so.

14. Do you think U.S. Government was right to invade Iraq?
Not anymore.  At first, I was cautiously supportive.  However, none of the threats that the Bush administration identified for invading Iraq turned out to be correct.  It was a mistake and unnecessary.

15. Do you think the actual Government is doing well by not showing pictures of the corpse of Bin 
Laden?
I do agree.  My wife had an idea that I think is a good one.  If the family members of those killed on 9/11 want to see the pictures of the corpse of Bin Laden, then they should be invited to the White House to see them for themselves.

16. Now that is going to produce the tenth anniversary, what is the atmosphere there?
Hopeful.  Hopeful that New York and the World never see such an awful act of terrorism again.

Begoña Velao, Nerea Sanz, Leyre Heránde y Jana Celada






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario